Embassy of Ireland: Chancery
Building and the surrounding
2234 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington DC
The Embassy of Ireland in Washington has been located at 2234
Massachusetts Avenue at Sheridan Circle since that property was
purchased by the Irish State in 1949.
The original architect of the house at 2234 Massachusetts Avenue
was William Penn Cresson. The Republican governor of Louisiana
William P. Kellogg (1873-1877) was one of the first owners of the
property. Kellogg was also elected to the United States House of
Representatives in 1882 and served one term from 1883 to 1885 after
which he continued to live in Washington.
The semi-detached limestone building has two major facades
(Massachusetts Avenue and Sheridan Circle). The interior
circulation and rooms which are designed about a central stair
hall, as well as the combination of reflective surfaces and natural
light, produce an illusion of greater space.
Today, the building includes formal reception rooms which have been
maintained in their original style as well as offices for the
officials based at the Embassy.
There is an annual open day for members of the public at the
Embassy in early May.
Sheridan Circle features a statue of George P. Sheridan, commander
of the U.S. Army of the Shenandoah and was dedicated in 1909 in the
presence of President Theodore Roosevelt. The houses surrounding
the circle were originally built in the first decade of the
Two blocks to the north of the Circle there is also a bronze
sculpture of the Irish patriot Robert Emmett by Jerome Connor
(1876-1943) that was dedicated in June 1917 in the presence of
President Woodrow Wilson.
Embassy of Ireland: Residence of the Ambassador of
2244 S Street NW, Washington DC
The Residence of the Ambassador of Ireland, situated at 2244 S
Street NW, was historically named the Frederic Delano House
following its construction in 1924.
The building was designed by noted Washington architect Wuddy B.
Wood and built for Frederic Delano, member of the Federal Reserve
Board and uncle of Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
The Irish Government purchased the house in 1965.